Tilting on the lyre

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 28 May 1999 19:18:19 -0400

Thanks for the idea of a dummy lyre. I can make one up a few for
S&S that is more of a rocker support and sell to a few movers :-)

On pianos which get loaned/rented frequently, I have recently
worked out all the creaks and groans because for years the movers
used the lyre for a pivot and stopped when I adamantly complained
to the company owner and warned of a possible mishap during the
move and possible repair charges resulting from this repeated maneuver.

I have utilized the lyre as a pivot but only because I determined it was
safe for that isolated move.

Preliminary plans for surrogate lyre rocker congealing . . .

Jon Page

At 03:04 PM 5/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Here at Yamaha, we have found with our concert stock going in and out
frequently, that using the lyre as a fulcrum does indeed result in weakened
glue joints. All the resulting squeaks and groans one associates with loose
glue joints are a source of annoyance, and many hours of repairs that should
never need to be done.  One of our local movers made a few dummy lyres,
consisting of a 2 X 6 bolted to a header.  (The screw holes may be elongated
into slots to allow for different distances between lyre screws on different
brands).  It isn't easy to get all the movers to use them, but we find it
makes
a VERY big difference.  Once or twice in the lifetime of a piano, it isn't
likely that tipping on the lyre is a big issue, but for repeated moves, it
definitely constitutes abuse.
>Steve Pearson
>Yamaha Piano service

>Ref. the above.  I work with two professional moving companies in and around
>the Naples, FL area.  They frequently drop off and pick up pianos at my
shop.
> Their common practice is to tilt the piano with it's treble and tail legs
>and the pedal lyre attached to the piano.  They use the fulcrum of the lyre
>to assist them in the maneuver of sitting the piano on the skid board, or
>taking it off.  It seems to work well enough.  As long as the piano is
fairly
>new (one that has a metal lyre support bracket mounted on the bottom of the
>keybed using machine bolts to bolt the lyre to the bracket) it seems to work
>without a problem.  I have only heard of one instance where the bottom
>platform of the lyre was broken.  I believe there might be a problem on
older
>grands where the pedal lyre is screwed directly to the keybed.
>
>In spite of all this, I still feel somewhat uneasy when this maneuver is
>performed.  My alternative, here in my shop, is to use a product "The Piano
>Horse".  This device works much the same way as the standard piano truck
that
>is used on upright pianos.  I have used it in my shop, by myself, to stand
up
>grands off the skid board, and put them back on, and have had no problem.
>The information on this product is available through the Piano Wrangler
>Equipment Co. of Austin, TX.  The owner, and developer of the Horse in
Gordon

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net