Customer Repairs I've Seen and some awful repairs by tech??

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 29 May 1999 10:33:26 +0200

PIANO2NR@AOL.COM wrote:

> I was called to fix a piano the lady had said was repaired by another tech
> three times and still wasn't working. S&C spinet with center pins falling out
> of the hammer flanges.  Instead of repinning, this guy had attached
> straightened paper clips to the hammer rail to act as guide rails between the
> hammer shanks. The bad thing is this guy is an associate member of our
> chapter.  I have seen and heard of lots other shoddy work by this guy. The
> stickers he leaves in pianos say he is a guild member, that's it.  No mention
> of being an associate I also mentioned it to our chapter president.  What is
> involved in getting an incompetent tech removed from our midst?
>
> Randy Mangus,RPT

Ok.. an interesting predicament. What does the PTG do in such cases. I have
always wondered about the ethics side of organizations. How do you follow up on
the associate ? Our organization here in Norway suffers from this problem, more
then they want to admit I am afraid. I recognize the difficulty in dealing with
this, but such organizations must have some way of identifying, dissassociating
elements that clearly breech some basic ethical standard.

Richard Brekne