Broken tap

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 29 May 1999 12:22:15 -0400

I would laboriously route a slot in the top with a Dremel Tool and carbide
bit
for a screw driver to remove the tap.

Second plan of attack would be to drill a hole with the carbide bit and
attempt an easy out.  Or perhaps consult a machinist first.

As a final endeavor, I would use the carbide bit and drill out as much of the
tap as possible and try to remove the loose pieces or drill them out with a
larger bit.  Don't drill all the way through, you want to preserve the threads
on the bottom if possible.

Once the tap is removed and the hole is clean, the threads can be rebuilt with
MarineTex Epoxy or maybe a helicoil.

The repair I made with epoxy a while back used a drill bit shank which was the
same diameter as the inner diameter of the threads on the lower portion of
the hole.  I applied a mould release to the shank and inserted it up through
the
bottom.

Apply epoxy first to the walls of the top section and then insert the shank so
that it sticks up above the plate enough to swab the shank with more epoxy
and pull it down into the hole so as to fill it as much as possible and still
have
a little protruding above the plate.

Once cured, remove the shank and start you tap from the bottom through the
good
remaining threads. That will chase the tap tight up the center.

Make sure you have the right threads per inch . . .

Then insert a new agraffe and fit it precisely, don't stress the threads by
overturning.

Good Luck, take you time, it's a long, tedious drilling operation.

Jon Page

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net