bass tuning and sostenuto pedal

Jaume Fabregas fabregas@abaforum.es
Mon, 31 May 1999 09:34:52 +0200

 > jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

> I found Richard's comment about the Sostenuto pedal interesting.  It is
the
> very first time I have ever seen anyone suggest its use in tuning.  I
> actually think of it this way:  It has very little performance capability
or
> use.  It is more useful to the technician than the musician as both a
tuning
> and regulating pedal.  When I do both fine tuning and regulating, I
consider
> it essential.  I don't know that I have ever seen it used in performance
> although I know that there are a few late 19th Century pieces that specify
it
> in a very limited way.

    Some concert piansts complain that 99 out of 100 pianos they come across
have the sostenuto pedal out of adjustment or not working. There is also a
lack of knowledge on its use, for example, when lifting the sostenuto pedal
before the sustaining pedal it gives a weird feeling on your right foot and
using una corda and sostenuto pedal at the same time can be awkward.
    Music composed before the sostenuto pedal was invented (that would
benefit from its use) is performed without using it just to give a more
'authentic performance' (and make their lives much harder). Failing to
'catch' a note in a performance makes some performers abandon its use almost
completely and look for other solutions.

    Jaume Fàbregas i Marcet
Apartat 321
E-08190 Sant Cugat del Vallès
Barcelona. Spain