sting cleaning

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 31 May 1999 06:40:39 -0500

Anyone have good tips for cleaning treble strings?  I have seen many trebles
with small rust spots.  My first thought is to use super fine (#0000) steel
wool, then clean with a cotton ball dampened with alcohol.

What about bore solvent used to clean guns?  Would that be OK as long as it
was not dripped onto the soundboard?  Bore solvent is a good cleaner for
guns, so I wonder if that would be a good solvent for the kind of dirt/rust
that tends to attach itself to strings.

I searched the archives, but found only one reference to string cleaning
with paint thinner to remove some substance, and another recommendation to
use 3M paint stripping pads instead of steel wool to clean bass strings.

Any thoughts?

John Formsma