Tuning forks

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 17:56:43 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

In one of your responses recently you said:
"
It is self saying that pitch source accuracy is an important issue, and
I do not
question its importance. But each thing to its own time and its own
place. The
inclusion of this requirement in the tuning segment of the examination
process is
in my opinion malplaced and the matter should be taken under review by
the
appropriate commitee."

It has been the opinion of most every Tuning Standard Committee for
over 20 years that the ability to tune A accurately to A=440 is important
and should be demonstrated in the test. In one of our Conventions a public
proclamation was made that the pitch of A440 should be maintained. We
seem to
have lost that resolve with so many orchestras deviating from it. Never
the less, whatever pitch is established by the orchestra, if the technician
agrees to maintain it, he should be able to demonstrate it to a certain
accuracy. We only ask that he demonstrate his ability to tune to A440.

This is really not as difficult as many are indicating by their confusion.

If one cannot tune a unison to an accurate fork, pray tell, how is s/he
going to pass the unison portion of our test? It is such a simple matter
to insure that the fork is in tune at a certain temperature. This is not
a big deal. PTG makes no attempt to fail anyone. If one is not sure of
their fork pitch, they can arrive early for their exam, bring their own
file and fix their fork comparing it to the the EXAM SAT or whatever
instrument is being used for scoring the test. They must do this however
in such a way as to not impose upon the examiner's time. I'm sure no one
would object to this. Adequate instruction have been given on this list as to
how to do that.

The Committees have always felt strongly that the technician needs to
assume responsibilty for his pitch. The test will demonstrate if this
has happened.

Jim Coleman, Sr.