"pounding"

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:04:44 -0800

> I theorize
> that some distortion of the sound wave occurs with a harder blow, which
> would seem to make it more difficult to tune precisely.  However, that is
> just my theory--does anyone have any data on this?
One direct, sharp blow is sufficient. While gently manipulating the tuning
pin, you are pulling the short distance between pressure bar and tuning pin
into much higher tension than the tension on the speaking distance of the
string. The purpose of the hard blow is to equalize these two tensions. If
they are not equalized at the time of tuning, they will equalize more slowly
(and the piano will go out of tune rapidly).