Tuning forks

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:21:56 EST

 << It is self saying that pitch source accuracy is an important issue, and
 I do not
 question its importance. But each thing to its own time and its own
 place. The
 inclusion of this requirement in the tuning segment of the examination
 process is
 in my opinion malplaced and the matter should be taken under review by
 the
 appropriate commitee."

 It has been the opinion of most every Tuning Standard Committee for
 over 20 years that the ability to tune A accurately to A=440 is important
 and should be demonstrated in the test. In one of our Conventions a public
 proclamation was made that the pitch of A440 should be maintained. We
 seem to
 have lost that resolve with so many orchestras deviating from it. Never
 the less, whatever pitch is established by the orchestra, if the technician
 agrees to maintain it, he should be able to demonstrate it to a certain
 accuracy. We only ask that he demonstrate his ability to tune to A440.

 This is really not as difficult as many are indicating by their confusion.

 If one cannot tune a unison to an accurate fork, pray tell, how is s/he
 going to pass the unison portion of our test? It is such a simple matter
 to insure that the fork is in tune at a certain temperature. This is not
 a big deal. PTG makes no attempt to fail anyone. If one is not sure of
 their fork pitch, they can arrive early for their exam, bring their own
 file and fix their fork comparing it to the the EXAM SAT or whatever
 instrument is being used for scoring the test. They must do this however
 in such a way as to not impose upon the examiner's time. I'm sure no one
 would object to this. Adequate instruction have been given on this list as to
 how to do that.

 The Committees have always felt strongly that the technician needs to
 assume responsibilty for his pitch. The test will demonstrate if this
 has happened.

 Jim Coleman, Sr.

I agree with Jim.  You need to demonstrate that you can tune a piano to
Standard Pitch within a reasonable tolerance.  Also, a professional is
expected to have an accurate pitch source.  That professional should also
know how to calibrate the pitch source whether it is a fork or some other
device.

In my opinion, there should be no change in the Exam regarding pitch.  Recent
changes have been made in the Exam procedure that make the Pitch portion of
the Exam more isolated.  It is no longer the case that you tune the whole
piano first, then your pitch is measured.  You get to do that first and have
a full 10 minutes to tune one single string.  You have a total of 3 cents
tolerance before you reach the tolerance of the Exam.

I believe it is quite fair and appropriate to expect that a professional
piano technician should be able to tune a single string to within 3 cents of
Standard Pitch in a time limit of 10 minutes.  As Jim says and may I add, if
the Examinee cannot do that much that well, how could it be expected that the
same person would be able to tune an accurate temperament, octaves and
unisons to a reasonable tolerance with reasonable stability?

I have the same argument about temperament as many have about pitch.  Some
people believe that actually tuning the piano *exactly* to A-440 is an
uncommon event.  My personal observations about temperament seem to be the
same:  a true Equal Temperament is only acheived by the very most highly
skilled technicians.      I personally do not choose to tune ET.  But I don't
believe that the Exam should be changed in any way regarding temperament.  It
is expected that a professional piano technician should be able to tune it
within a reasonable tolerance.

Once again, I have seen from a couple of people a kind of anxiety that is way
out of proportion to the reality of the situation.  I'll bet that both of you
could set your A4 to within tolerance in a matter of seconds with whatever
pitch source you have and without even bothering to calibrate it, just as I
could by whipping out my $3.00 tuning fork, striking it and matching the
pitch with a stroke or two of my tuning hammer.  So don't worry about it,
just do it!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin