Tuning forks

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:58:47 -0600

Richard Brekne wrote:

>If the examinee can accurately match the
>piano to the pitch source, demonstrate a suberb temperament at that pitch,
>and
>perform an outstandingly even tuning at that pitch, what on earth is the
>point of flunking him ?

I worry that your discussion somewhat mischaracterizes the situation.

The exam rules have been under the watchful protection through the years
by some of the finest people I know. The PTG does not set up the RPT
exams to flunk people, but to encourage excellence. If examinees have
practiced and studied, they can and do regularly pass the exams.

At the beginning of the tuning exam the examinee has 5 minutes to tune
one string of the A4. The examiners measure it and if is a failure, the A
can be scored again later under a second chance provision.

Also, this may not have been mentioned before, but examiners will often
supply an accurate pitch source if the examinee requests it. We
discourage this because it is better for the examinee to be using a pitch
source with which he is accustomed. But it is common for us to measure
the accuracy of the examinee's pitch source just before beginning of the
exam, and if it is found to be inaccurate, we generally just supply one
that is more accurate.

I hope you see, Richard, that some of your concerns are actually provided
for in the rules.

Kent Swafford