Tool recommendation for polishing polyester finishes ...?

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 22:55:39 -0800

If you call Esquire Piano (they are near the Los Angeles Yamaha
facility), they will sell you everything you need to do polyester work.
Except the buffer machine.  The best machine is the Milwaukee.  It has
the most power.  Get the variable speed unit.  Esquire will make a
special buffing wheel to be used with the machine.  You use the wheel on
the edge, not like the normal swirl buffer that the machine is designed
for.  They have all the right compounds to use, the polyester, etc.  The
guys there will discuss all the techniques with you, and give very good
advice.  If you need the phone number, I'll find it for you, or you can
call me at work 619 298-5313 M-F 9-5 PST.
    Another alternative  to the Milwaukee buffing machine is to use the
Milwaukee hand held grinding machine.  You remove the grinding wheel and
install a buffing wheel.  But there is not speed control, so you must
use a variac autotransformer to slow it down.  The grinder uses 15 amps,
so your variac needs to be able to handle at least that much.  It's more
expensive (obviously), but I believe it will last far longer than the
buffer machine.  I have both.  I learned to do poly at the Samick
factory in L.A., and that's what they used.
Paul McCloud
San Diego