"pounding"

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 12:28:48 -0600

>No you're not.  I saw a very convincing demonstration of this principle by
>Jim Ellis using his monochord about a year and a half ago.  He demonstrated
>that forceful blows would not COMPLETELY equalize strings across bridges,
>but that they indeed helped.  This is his argument for keeping your piano
>in tune.  Makes sense to me.

Me too.

>I might add that I experienced dramatic improvement in tuning stability
>after I learned how to use strong blows WHILE turning the tuning pin --
>then check with softer strikes.  My hammer technique didn't change, and is
>identical to what Susan described.

This works great on some pianos, miserably on others. It just depends on
what you have to work with, and that's part of my point. It ain't all
hammer technique.

>One strange observation I have made, though, is that you can pound away on
>a S&S after you get the string/pin settled without a change in pitch.  But
>with other makes, the pitch will take a nosedive with every strike as if
>neither will settle.  Why?
>
>Jeff

Try this the next time you run across one of these. After you finally get
the string chased down and holding relatively well at pitch with your firm
blows, lighten up. Hit it twenty or thirty times fairly softly and rapidly.
I'll bet the pitch climbs just a little during the process.

Ron N