Mock tuning test ??

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:37:17 -0800

Brian Trout wrote:

>  I've had a number of people tell me I should just take the test, but
> I'm a little shy. :-)  I'd like to get an unbiased idea of just where
> I am right now before I inconvenience the tuning examiners.

I would think an ETD like tunelab would be great and simple for self
checking pitch, unisons, and stability.
I was surprised how sensitive the machines were. My first exposure to
ETD's being my first exam.
it was a revelation to see stability problems announce themselves so
rapidly, and see how much variation
I was creating in a "unison". The exam process was like a beginning a
journey that is ongoing. Tuning
for many years previous to the exams, progress had been slow. In
retrospect,  I'm amazed what I
got away with in my first years on the road. Since becoming an RPT I now
realize how much
remains, and the meaning of "minimum standard".As Mr Hawkins said when
congratulating me on passing,
"Now the journey begins."

Don't be shy, go for it, you will not regret it.

                                         Cheers
                                         David Renaud
                                          RPT
                                          Canada