Samick Warranty work

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 23:03:36 -0800

Brian Lawson wrote:

> Pronounced as in "Monday" - "Honday", or so my local car dealer tells me.
>
> Brian Lawson
> IC PTG

There's a Korean manpower company that decided to spell its name YOU ONE
in English because the reading of those English words gives a very close
approximation of the Korean pronunciation, which would ordinarily be
transliterated as YU WON or similar.  The Korean proper name Park was
originally spelled that way for the British because their pronunciation
of it (drawn out "a" but no "r") would also be very close to the
Korean.  Now Americans pronounce it with the "r" and mess up the
original intent.

If Hyundai Corporation had followed those examples they would have
chosen the English words HEWN DIE.  The company apparently made the
decision when they entered the American market (I'm old enough to
remember that) to compromise the pronunciation rather than the
spelling.  Although the spelling evokes the correct pronunciation if
spoken phonetically, it has enough of a non-English look to make
Americans struggle with it even though there are perfectly natural
English words which reproduce the correct sounds.  As a result, their
ads were launched with the pronunciation HUN DEE, which has stuck.

More than you wanted to know.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA