REPLY - Tool for polyester finishes...

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 22:48:30 -0600

Okay, here goes:

I talked to our local polyester expert as I had mentioned in my previous post
attached below.  His name is Brian Meaton and he does professional polyester
repairs for all the local piano and furniture dealers. He also repairs all lacquer
finishes.  He is in the phone book and has more work than he can handle and his
current waiting list is about three weeks.  He repaired a very bad chipped gouge
in a new satin polyester mahogany French case Young Chang while I was there to
watch.  Outstanding work!  It is nearly invisible.

I've described the situation regarding the question and he says this: DON'T!!
Under most situations power buffing will cause more damage than good.  Orbiting or
random orbit will leave obvious swirls no matter how you go about it.  Furthermore
most people tend to over do it, heating it up just enough to melt it and make a
mess you will never forget.  He says that if you are down right set on trying this
you should use a standard soft cotton buffing wheel mounted in a horizontal die
grinder or similar such tool.  From there you should buff in a single direction in
parallel lines.  Start with a more course wheel with the most abrasive compound.
When complete change direction, making parallel line passes that cross at a right
angle with the first passes so you are making a grid like pattern.  Then go down
to the next finer grade of wheel and compound and repeat.  Continue to the finest
grade.  DO NOT skip grades.  Each step is critical.  He says that one of the
biggest mistakes that people make is to get in a hurry, skip steps, use too much
pressure and melt the stuff, or whatever.  Just because you are using a machine
doesn't mean that this is a fast process.

His foremost recommendation is to simply not use a machine and buff the finish by
hand.  It is slow, boring, and very time consuming, but it is the method least
likely to screw up and will probably give you the best results.

Just passing the word, do whatcha want!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV