S&S - New Piano

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 20:45:53 -0800

Avery Todd wrote:

> List,
>
>    Check this out for a new Steinway, Boston/Young Chang piano
> in the works.
>
> Avery
>
> http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/bw.110199/1412024.htm

Are we getting too affluent to make our own pianos anymore?

On a similar tack, I tuned a white, 6'10" Schafer & Sons yesterday whose
insides did not look like a Korean design at all. Curious, I asked the
owner about it. He was told by the dealer that a few of the Shafer &
Sons grands were made by Schimmel for "display" purposes...

The Schimmel name appeared nowhere on the case or plate; the fallboard
and soundboard decal names were "Schafer & Sons", the same as the name
cast into the plate. The serial number (225250) corresponds, under
Schimmel, to 1981 which is about when he bought the piano. I found the
serial number, along with the word "original", on a sticker pasted to
the underside of the soundboard toward the tail but no numbers stamped
anywhere else as you would expect. The action has a Renner sticker on
it. The signature "D. W. Nicholson" appears on the far-left part of the
plate under the music desk. There were no other identifying marks.

Anyone heard of or seen such an animal?

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT