Yamaha Duplex Scale

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 07:48:51 -0600

>Curioius... why where you trying to tune the duplex on a C5?
>
>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway

Don't ya just love a curious Norwegian :)  Well?

Hi Richard,

This is a fabulous mid-80's C5 that I tune regularly for local shows.
However, it used to sport a few objetionably false strings that didn't
respond to the traditional leveling and tap-down tricks.

I had just read an PTG article on tuning duplexs, and having just restrung
the family's Steinway Model B where I got to "factory" tune its duplex, I
thought that I'd check the C5's when I did a little restringing.

It's duplexs were a little off pitch (can't remember if they were high or
low), so I thought that I'd optimize their position.  I couldn't get a plate
to budge, so I pulled it out of the piano and discoved that little guide
pin.

Personally I thought that it was a little "cocky" for Yamaha to design the
duplex so that it couldn't be tuned.  But then again, this is a Yamaha, and
they like to do things only one way...the Y-A-M-A-H-A way (listen for cool
multi-media bumper music in your head as you imagine a choir singing this
with digital strings in the background) ;)

I dutifully put the plate back to it's factory position, restrung those
false notes and promptly forgot the whole affair until the duplex tuning for
Yamaha came up.

Cheers-
Brian Henselman,RPT
musicmasters@att.net