Grand touch

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 23:12:28 +0100

Hei Kristinn og takk for sist

Do yourself a favor on these Samick. First check downweight and upweight and note
down the figures. Then subtract the upweight from the downweight for each key and
divide by two. This will tell you how much friction there is in the action.
Samicks varie quiet a bit in this regard in my experience. The result of this
division should be around the neighborhood of 15 grams. A downweight of around 50
grams is pretty usual for a light touch. Do this friction figureing before you do
anything else or you could end up making things worse, or not really improving
the situation at all. Typical sources of friction problems are center pins,
knuckels, and keybushings. In some cases the angle the whippen sits on the
capstan can cause problems with friction as well.

With good friction levels there are several things you can do to improve the
actions speed, and give it a lighter touch. Samicks have whippen assist springs
and you can strengthen these with in reason. This will sometimes have dramatic
effects on touchweight. You should see that these are well regulated before doing
anything else. Otherwise you can regulate dampers so they lift on the "late" side
of standard tolerance, you can reduce hammer mass by shaping the tails (used to
be a good idea anyways as you could take the angle out of the tail at the same
time and get checks perpendicular to the keys, and you could remove the excess
checkering that tends to just rip the backcheck leather apart with time and use).
You can also file some of the felt off the hammers.

In addition I find that setting backcheck as high as you can get away with it,
and insuring a repetition spring strength on the "strong" side does wonders for
speed, and can contribute to the illusion of lightness of touch.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G. N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway