Third-string catchers

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 18:39:41 -0500

Paul,

You probably ran into Corfam, although I never heard it described before
as "like glass."  I think of it as more like wood.  Since cost is an
obstacle, nothing will be lost by trying to roughen it a little with
sandpaper and see if there is an improvement.

I remember one vertical that wouldn't check properly.  The stuff on the
catchers did look for all the world like leather, but it was gunked up
with something or other.  Maybe this is your situation.  Sanding them a
little really did work in this instance.  This occurred only months ago,
so I don't know what I'll find the next time I see the piano.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA