shoot the piano

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:26:22 -0500

>Well now, I'm beginning to wonder.  In spite of Horugel's unappealing
>reputation, can all this be blamed on the manufacturer?  As we all know, even
>very fine pianos can develop bushels of maladies if not properly cared for.

"Horugel" does indeed deserve all the blame one can shovel on it. Keep in
mind, though, that it's been 20 years since they appeared, and after the
most awful deficiencies were reduced, Samicks were imported under their own
name. In 1978-79 I worked for a dealer in Cleveland (Bill Kapp) who sold
them for awhile; terrible fake veneer, poor pinblock drilling, etc.
Horugel once was a "real" German piano. I had a customer who picked one up
in the Netherlands (it didn't survive New England winters very well,
though).

Patrick