Baroque Festival (pitch)

Mike Keener mkeener@erinet.com
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:31:00 -0500

Ric and list,

    Musicians will try to play in tune with whatever is happening around =
them.  That is an important part of being a musician.  When the pitch is =
pushed up, one must make sure the instrument in use can go up with it.  =
When someone has decided that the orchestra will tune to 442, that is =
what the musicians must do.  I am a trombonist, and I've have had to =
shorten instruments in order to tune to a higher pitch. =20
    When we consider temperament, a musician should be able to follow =
the intonation of the keyboard instrument in the ensemble.  Granted, =
it's easier for strings and trombones, but everyone in the ensemble =
should be able to adjust pitches as necessary, no matter what the =
instrument.  It is one thing that separates the players from the genuine =
musicians.
    Playing with a tempered instrument introduces new rules of =
intonation into a situation, especially a solo with piano accompaniment. =
 There is probably not as much to be considered in a modern orchestra =
due to the constant vibrato of the strings that produce what I would =
call an "average" pitch.  The pitch of the tempered, fixed-pitch =
instrument is probably within the range of the vibrato of the strings.
    Brilliance (brightness) can always be dialed into electronically =
produced, or reproduced, music, but live music is something else.  The =
general attitude is that a higher pitch allows for more brilliance.  =
This was apparently believed by Leonard Bernstein, who is credited by =
many with having a major role in the upward trend of orchestral pitch.=20

Mike Keener