Grand Touch

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 13:47:26 -0500

Hi Paul,

I'm receiving these posts in digest form (it's the only way I can digest it
all) so I apologize for not being a little slow on the responses.

As to Strike Distance.  I think Kristinn means hanging the hammer closer
in.  (This would necesitate moving the stack back by an equal amount to
re-align the strike point on the string.) Imagine the hammer as sitting way
out on the other end of a see saw.  If it's not so far out it doesn't take
so much weight or force to move it.

Bill Shull said it increases aftertouch.  That a regulation issue, not a
touchweight issue.  Actually if dip were kept the same and the strike
distance moved in it would take more dip to cycle the hammer which means
less aftertouch.  I don't follow his reasoning.

In one instance I had a Grotrian Steinweg with bass hammers hung at
125mm/4.9" in the bass and 130mm/5.1" in the treble.  The Strike Weight
Ratio varied from an average of 5.5 in the bass to 6.1 in the treble.

In future discussions about touch weight it would be most helpful to talk
real numbers.  If we're asking questions about up/downWt then please
provide some upweight down weight numbers.  If we're talking about hammer
weight then please provide strike weights.  If we're trying to decide if a
hammer is too heavy then we need to know something about the action ratios
or have some strike weight ratio data.
It's difficult to say if a hammer is too heavy or too light without numbers.

Sorry to hear that Kristinn doesn't have the action.  I thought he had it
until Dec... other way around, Oh Well.

David Stanwood