lost motion topic

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 16:10:52 -0500

At 11:24 AM 11/04/1999 -0800, you wrote:

>Two questions:
>
>1.  Which do you prefer on a 30+ year-old piano that has never been
>regulated - excessive lost motion or incorrect keydip (assuming the customer
>will not pay for anything but a tuning AND I don't want any WISEGUYS here.)

Reducing the lost motion is very important. If the dip is incorrect, the
balance
rail could be shimmed or shims removed to approximate the proper dip.
After all, it would_have_to play better after eliminating the lost motion.

But be careful for the dampers; especially if you move the hammer rail.
A few trials should tell you how to proceed.

>2.  What are your thoughts when you come across this type of situaton?  I'm
>guessing that many of you would ignore it.  Maybe some of you encounter the
>same thing?  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
>Jay Mercier

I have always attended to necessary action work while tuning. If there is a
limited budget, then I would pitch raise/touch-up and adjust and then advise
more
frequent servicing. Don't do too much for too little, they won't appreciate
it.

Regards,

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net