Early Steinway Grand

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 23:58:58 -0600

Stephen Birkett wrote:

>Well quite a spate of historical piano letters we've had here recently.
>The above are definitely not mutually exclusive. It is quite feasible to
>have an histroically accurate 1850 restored piano that is fully
>functional and useful. Can I ask is this over-strung?
>
>Stephen

Sure, it's over-strung.

I figure it isn't really my place to say after the fact that it was a bad
thing to modernize the appearance of a piano; it might be my place to say
that such modernization had been done poorly, but this had been done
beautifully. (I might have recommended against the modernization had I
been asked before it was done, especially if that early serial number is
for real.)

Kent