Early Steinway Grand

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 01:04:03 EST

Hi, Kent:

I know of two of these early 7' Steinways, one is my own.  You say yours went
to Europe and came back;  mine also traveled - to China and back (an American
doctor took it with him to China in the 20's, and it was serviced there - the
newspaper keypunchings have Chinese characters).  I think yours survived its
jaunt better, though.

Mine fits your description exactly,  even to the sad modernization via
removal of ornamentation, replacement of legs - except my cabinet is still
finishable in rosewood.   It measures 7'3"  and is called a Style 2 - some
call it a "C" but I haven't seen any Steinway literature refer to it that way
("A Guide to Restringing"  lists a 1871 "C" with 24 bass notes - my Style 2
has 20 bass notes like yours).  Mine was made in 1878 - Theodore Steinway was
already well on his way with the modern A-B-C-D designs, and I think some
were already in production.  An 8'11' version of this design (more below) has
a cast piece attached to an open cutoff bar area with bolts - meant to stress
the SB and affect impedance somehow, I guess (like the Julius Bauer idea, but
only in the cutoff bar area).  My Style 2 has the cutoff area, but no
hardware for ruining the SB.

You mention that the piano's service history has not been so bad - does it
have a decent treble sound still?

These pianos have a substantial spreader/pinblock which is mortised and
bolted into the case on each side - no shelf - and replacement requires
opening up the case on each side.  I have heard of a high failure rate for
all methods of pinblock replacement and repair, and have been advised that
replacement should be a tight fit, and as closely follow the original design
as possible.   I know some on this list are experienced with this - I will do
this for the first time soon.  I think that the real problem with these
designs is the post beam/belly structure which doesn't have to separate very
much to result in tonal deterioration - I also suspect that the pinblock
replacement job wasn't very secure on a similar 9' I service, and it raised
slightly (the plate does not extend past the pinblock - even the struts stop
at the pinblock flange.  I plan on SB replacement for my Style 2 but intend
to do whatever reinforcement is needed to the rim/beam structure first.

I tune an 8'11" or 9' of the same style.  it is of the same design, except
the forward duplex rests on it are actually separable nickel plated pieces,
while my Style 2 has front duplexing, the duplex bars are cast into the plate
- and it came to me with felt over the duplexing under the strings (what's
the point of the front duplexing, then?).  This 9' had both pinblock and SB
replaced, but unfortunately the SB job was bad, board flattened out and there
is no bearing, so top half of piano is dead.  I assume that in good condition
this instrument should remind us tonally of a Bechstein, possibly?

If you are certain that this piano has only a 3 digit serial number, then the
design had quite a history for Steinway - I would like to know about this.

What type of action rails/frame does it have?

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

In a message dated 11/4/99 7:14:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,