lost motion topic

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 21:56:22 +1300

Jay
Yes, to get a customer to recognise the value of their piano enough to pay
for some basic maintenance is always a problem. One option is to show the
customer the problem, then make a few adjustments to let them see the
difference, before wasting time launching into it if it won't be noticed /
appreciated.
This approach often works for me as long as we're talking small relatively
inexpensive remedies. (In this situation anyway)

Regarding lost motion, shimming rails does a quick job with some
consequences ie, keydip etc. I find, depending on the piano, that it is a
fairly quick job to check the blow distance, pack the hammer rest rail as
required, then adjust the capstans checking the keyboard regulation isn't
going to be upset.
This procedure usually takes about 30 minutes if the capstans are easy to
regulate, and the difference is usually very noticable to the pianists.
Aftertouch even returns!

I've encountered on several occasions clients actually wanting action
problems fixed and the tuning was secondary, yet they booked a tuning.
Sometimes it is possible to spend less time on the tuning and some time on
regulation. One tech friend of mine books a 2 hour appointment and always
has time left after the tuning to do some other necessary work without
feeling rushed, so the pianos he works on are improved over a period of time
without the customer realising they are actually paying for it anyway. I
tend to treat these jobs as an add on to a tuning, ie, where I can often
spend an extra hour there and charge accordingly. It doesn't always work
though.

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth NZ