Noisy Steinway Wippens

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 05:20:41 EST

>Came across a 1975 Steinway with teflon bushings today.  Wippens in the
>bass  >area were especially noisy.  Almost sounded like wood banging against
wood.
> After tightening all action screws in the area, the noise was still there.

Greetings,
     It is possible that the proximal edge of the jack is hitting the
underside of the hammershank flange.  There are many other wood to wood
possibilities, but that is about the most unexpected one I can think of, and
it had stumped me on a Steinway of this vintage several years ago.
Regards,
Ed Foote