pinblock drillpress

paulmcrpt@juno.com paulmcrpt@juno.com
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:57:26 -0500

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 23:05:04 -0700 Eliot Lee <elee@amug.org> writes:
>Hello List,
>
>	I was wondering which drill press is recommended for an on
>the
>piano drillpress to drill pinblocks at a 7 degree angle.  What kind
>of
>attachments are needed to make it fit?

Eliot,

I also use the Delta radial arm drill press.  I drill my blocks outside
of the piano after marking the finally fit block with a deep punch.  I
have fitted my drill press with an 8' wide piece of plywood attached to
the deck and hinged at the back.  A small strip of wood underneath the
front edge tilts this panel to achieve the back angle.  It is adjustable
to whatever angle you choose.  I currently use 5 degrees, although I have
used 7 with this same setup.  I don't like the idea of a bubble gauge on
a hand drill because of the chatter of the drill causing the bubble to
fly all over the gauge leaving no good reference.  Maybe if you have
nerves of steel and the strength of Tarzan, but not me.  I did my very
first pinblock this way using the tuning pin bushings as a drill guide
and the results were so embarrassing I almost want to scream today which
is 25 years after the event.  I know some do it this way, but not me.

Back to the shelf idea.  Make it wide enough that the block is well
supported when you drill the extreme treble and bass.  Make sure also
that the weight of the block does not cause your table to bend and create
an unwanted compound angle.  Enjoy making sawdust.

Paul McMillin, RPT
Carlisle, PA