Black Bear Story--off topic

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:26:53 -0400

Hello,
        The neat thing about tuning is meeting people, their pets,
seeing their homes, and sometimes their stories.   Mrs. Yuill lived
adjacent to dense forests near Negaunee, Michigan.   As I commented on
her two big golden retrievers, she told me this story:
            She had taken them in the pickup down the old logging trail
behind her house.   As she was berry picking, the dogs went into the
woods.  A short time later they came barreling out again with a black
bear right behind them.  Mrs.Yuill ran for the truck.  So did the dogs.
The dogs passed Mrs. Yuill leaving her with the bear right behind.  She
stumbled and fell as the bear rushed up and stopped right over her.  She
rolled onto her face and lay still while hearing it breath and sniff for
"what seemed like eternity". The dogs stayed at the truck, whimpering,
but offering no help.  The bear periodically moved away a bit, but if
she moved, it would rush right back.  Eventually the bear left and she
made it unharmed to the truck. She never takes dogs in the woods
anymore.
       It has been fourteen years since I tuned in Michigans Upper
Peninsula but that story is the most memorable of my tuning career.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT