hide glue

Fri, 05 Nov 1999 09:43:38 -0600

At 08:11 11/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>Help!  I have been a convert to hot hide glue for about a year and need to
make a new batch.  I have lost the formula.  Can someone tell me how much
water to how much glue crystals?  Thanks.
>Paul McMillin, RPT
>Carlisle, PA

I lost the instructions, too.

This may sound flip, but ... enough water to make the consistancy you want!

I make mine in a gluepot and initially put in enough water to more than
cover the crystals. (If I put in an inch of crystals, I put in 1 1/4"or so
of water)  Wait an hour for the water to be completely absorbed, then heat
it up.

I make different size batches depending on the job, so a hard and fast
recipe never worked for me.

When fully warmed you'll know if it is jello or tea.  Then add water to
taste, or let it evaporate to the syrup you like, or start using it.

Keep it covered while in use, and constantly monitor/adjust consistancy.
[Taste testing not advised.]

Maybe someone else has a recipe down to gram weights of the ingredients??

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

"Far too noisy, my dear Mozart.  Far too many notes." Emperor Ferdinand