pinblock drillpress

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 22:21:33 -0200

Hi there,

There was a similar thread a few months ago, which I believe will be reproduced in
the tech Q&A in an upcoming journal. We use a door set up like Mark describes.

Del Fandrich pointed out that a 7 degree angle often is not desirable, at least in
modern pianos there is no risk of a pin pulling out. I agree, and will add that
there is not much risk of this with antique pianos and (reproduction) harpsichords
either if threaded pins are used. The pin should be angled so that at the bottom
coil the string should be perpendicular to the pin extending to the first bearing
(or with a slight upward bearing on the coil). This is not difficult to measure.

Our drill press sled has a moveable wedge to set the drilling angle which can vary
from section to section in a piano. Our drill press is a small Taiwanese
Value-Craft.

Cheers,

Clark