Kimball spinet grommets

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:43:00 -0800

At 08:06 AM 11/05/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>I have a customer that  has a Kimball spinet which needs to have the
>square rubber grommets [#3785 in new Schaff catalog], replaced. I did a
>set a few years back, and seem to have vague memories of blisters on my
>hands. I thought I'd borrow the black marker idea, and run a line above
>the old ones to get lost motion in the ball park.  I have a #60 Kimball
>lost motion regulator [Schaff tool catalog]. Wondering if anyone might
>have a slick tricks, that might save some time and or skin!
>                                             Thanks,
>                                             Brenda Mamer, RPT
>                                             Merrill, WI

Hi, Brenda

I was just about where you were with them once, and I worked out a tedious
little fixit, which I put in a Journal article. (January, 1998, "technical
break", page 19.) I said I'd be glad to hear if anyone had worked out a way
to use a power tool to do the turning, and got some very good replies,
showing me clearly that I had been back in mid-semester of Grommets 101,
and they were in grad school. So I did "Grommets Revisited," which came out
in the April, 1998 issue, on page 34. I suppose some of these might be
called slick tricks. Possibly the best one was in the first article: hope
that the owner is short of cash and long on time, and teach him or her to
do it, with the right tool or tools. Then just go back, touch up lost
motion, etc., and smile.

Susan Kline