Estonia grands

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 22:21:48 +0000

List.

I have tuned quite a few grands of the Estonia brand.  Now this brand was
supposedly nothing much to talk about, but since Estonia was free from the
U.S.S.R they´ve constantly been getting better.

The annoyance that I´m faced with however, is tuning-related.  When tuning
the temperament and the lowest part of the treble they´re very comfortable.
 However as soon as I get up to the upper middle part of the treble the
octaves seem to "resist".  The octave is beatless but as soon as I check it
with a seventeenth or whatever, it becomes clear that it has to go higher.
All the symptoms told me, the first time I tuned one, that there must have
been something terribly wrong with the temperament and the following
octaves.
However, I checked this thoroughly and found out it wasn´t so.  There was
absolutely no reason for this.

I want to make it clear that these are about four or five grands and I´ve
never had this problem before or since.

The down bearing is fine, but I was thinking that this might be
duplex-related.

Kristinn Leifsson
Reykjavík, Iceland