Yamaha Duplex Scale

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 23:51:25 -0600

>>  As for the Yamaha specifically, measure them and compare
>> against the speaking lengths. Then do the math. Or pluck and ponder.
>>

>> Ron N
>
>I can see the point of the original question, and it's not a stupid one!

* Hey Mark, I  never imagined for a moment that it was, and it certainly
wasn't my intent to imply any such thing.

>The back duplex pitches seem to be consistently a semitone out from what you
>expect. I don't have a Yamaha grand within easy reach to check this on, so I
>couldn't tell you if it's a semitone up or down but it's very
>consistent...not a mistake.

* Again, I didn't assume, state, or intentionally imply that it was an
accidentally, or arbitrarily obtained thing.

>Whereas Fazioli will tune those cute little gizmo's perfectly to whatever
>they have decided on each part of the piano.
>
>Curious...
>
>Cheers
>Mark Bolsius
>Bolsius Piano Services
>Canberra Australia

OK, one more time. Here's my personal take on rear duplex tuning.

I'm not convinced that it makes a heck of a lot of difference how a rear
duplex is "tuned" because of at least a couple of inescapable basic
conditions. First, the rear duplex is excited by the general movement of
the bridge under play, not by the bleed through from any specific note,
like the front duplex, and therefor is going to make some sort of noise no
matter what note on the bridge is being played. There just isn't a direct
correlation between the note played and the rear duplex like there is in
the front. Second, the reluctance of the strings to render through the
bridge pins, compared to the relative ease of rendering across the capo,
means that it is highly unlikely that the rear duplex segment will be at
the tension, and therefor pitch, that the length of the segment would seem
to indicate.

More simply put, the rear duplex will be only very roughly at the pitch for
which it was designed, under real world circumstances, so the rear duplex
tuning can't be terribly critical or no piano with a rear duplex could
possibly sound good. In the case of the Yamaha, the lengths were chosen to
insure that the duplex was not remotely in tune with any partial of the
corresponding note. Again, since the rear duplex gets it's power second
hand from the general movement of the bridge, I don't see how it really
makes a heck of a lot of difference. What's the difference if the rear
duplex is tuned to it's assigned note, or the note adjacent to it?

Generally, it's my opinion that a tuned or intentionally untuned duplex of
any sort is unnecessary and superfluous if the soundboard is working
adequately with the string scale.

My last, and probably least, point in that previous post is that there is
no universally agreed upon correct pitch for any note in any specific piano
(a-4 being a near miss), so there can't possibly be a "correct" pitch for
any segment in any duplex in any piano on the planet... even if there was
an agreed upon design criteria. If the industry, the physics, and
individual technicians' determination of tuning produce no precisely
defined standard, then  the industry is guessing. So pluck and ponder.

Ron N