Grotrian Cymbalese

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 09:03:17 +0100

Mark Bolsius wrote:

> G'day Richard,
>
> Sounds like a typical example of duplex segments that are too long. If
> that's the case, the pitch produced by these can be within an easily audible
> range... the effect is to double the number of strings vibrating in sympathy
> in the top end of the piano. Trouble is that many of the duplex
> (particularly front duplex) are untuned and produce lots of odd harmonics,
> hence the cymbalish nature of what you are hearing.

I can measure them all off if you like.. But I would imagine its the front
duplex that is the problem. Actually there is kinda like 3 different front
(between the capo bar and tuning pins) speaking lengths and pluking any segment
gives a very noticeable tone.

> You can check this by plucking the front duplex...what you should hear here
> is the same note as the speaking length on the other side of the capo
> bar...this is good, it's doing it's job. But if you can hear another strong
> note that's not related to the speaking length pitch, it's the note being
> produced by the duplex in it's own right.

Interesting. Any thoughts on how loud the speaking length should respond to
plucking the duplex vs how loud the duplex will sound when muting the speaking
length and plucking the duplex ?

Is it the duplexs primary job to strengthen the fundemental or augment the
harmonics of that fundemental then ? Or does this sort of depend on what you are
trying to accomplish ?

Skål

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.