Question: What's the difference?

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 09:08:21 -0200

We're talking about sample-based instruments, right, some even with tactile
feedback in form of truncated actions - but manufacturers neglect to sample some
of the other important sounds like dampers or all our favorite clicks and buzzes.
And memory has been cheap until recently.

I believe there is an amplifier on the market that incorporates a spruce
soundboard as the mount for its speaker, but how much of this isn't marketing I
can't say having never heard one.

I have a 1986-vintage Kurzweil synthesizer which builds sounds from tunable
sine-wave partials (or pink or white noise) each with its own envelope; certainly
it is not a piano in a box (a fairly large one in this case), but it sounds
better than most that are purported to be. It takes as long to program via
computer as tuning a piano; a computer is also needed to translate MIDI
information for octave stretch. Considering that a working system would include
at least one computer, a keyboard, amplifier (preferably with a large spruce
transducer driven by multiple coils), and all of the associated cables, it would
be more difficult to move than a piano.

And here I was thinking that electronic pianos were preferred just because they
were easier!

Clark