What's the difference? and Estonia problem

JCCORDOGAN@AOL.COM JCCORDOGAN@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:47:51 EST

What's the difference?

When explaining the sound difference to a layperson (at least one
who's willing to listen), I advise, among other things, that at it's VERY
BEST, a digital piano can only be the attempt at the sound of a piano
when a piano is heard through speakers.  In other words, if the
customer was blindfolded, and a pianist played an in-tune concert
grand -- then right next to it, the same pianist played the same piece
on a digital piano, containing the sample of that same concert grand
model, no one would confuse the two.  However, if the comparison
involved the concert grand being 100 yards away when it were played,
with the sound miked and reproduced through a pair of speakers near
the listener, and then the digital piano were played, the listener may
get confused.  (Hand gestures help the customer grasp the concept...)

Another scenario I use describes how when walking into a restaurant,
one can always tell when there is recorded music vs. a live
band/pianist.  The sound of music coming through a 6-12" speaker
cone vs. the surrounding sound of a piano or the dynamics and
harmonics of a human voice, a violin, a flute... is markedly different.

These watered down examples are ones that I have found effective in
explaining digital vs. acoustic piano sound to the average person.  I'm not
saying it's the best way (if there is one), I'm just saying they seem to
"get it."

On a possibly more disturbing note (for lack of better words), I recently
saw an A&E special called something like "Kiri Te Kanawa - Live
in the Outback."  Accompanying with the entire symphony orchestra
was... a digital piano.  The cameras paid no less attention to the
accompaniest than if he were at a nice shiny concert grand.  Yikes.

Estonia problem:

I have notified the owner of Estonia of your questions/problem.  He will
reply to you promptly.  Was it a new piano?  What size?  The ones
we've seen have been far from problematic.  Musicians continue to say
very favorable things about them (after voicing, tuning and regulation of
course).

John Cordogan

Cordogan's Pianoland and  Cordogan's Piano Gallery
Illinois' Largest Piano Store
"More pianos than you can shake a leveling stick at"
Chicagoland's Kawai, Sauter, Estonia and Kemble dealer