Teaching Intonation

rchayden1@juno.com rchayden1@juno.com
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 21:57:20 -0800

Hey Folks,

Maybe its my education background, but I'm starting to get livid when
people say they can't hear when a piano is out of tune.   You know what I
do?  I take 90 seconds and teach them.

If your 'victim' is hearing you, he can learn about intonation.  Only the
deaf are exempt from the class.

Demonstrate a unison.  Only a liar will deny what you are telling them.
"Hear that 'WaWaWa?"  If they don't, make it worse and ask again.  Then
demonstrate a clean unison.  Go back to the bad one.  Ask which is
pleasant and which isn't.  Tell them that knowing when a piano is out of
tune is easily comprehended.  It doesn't take much repetition for anyone
to get it.

If you have a sharp pupil, demonstrate the octave next.  Sing out of
tune.  Sing in tune.  Once their ears have 'caught' it they will be most
amazed.  If they are brave non singers you may next get them to match
pitch with their voice.  If they don't match it then find their pitch and
match them.  Let them hear what true is. Let them feel it in their ears.
I use the words "When your voice disappears into that key, then you'll
know you've matched it."  A little teaching, a good measure of
encouragement, and you may change a life.

I have taught several non singers to sing.   And have never failed to
teach anyone who asks what to listen for.

Roger Hayden, RPT,