Observations on Tuning

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 09:23:55 +0100

<<<<    Huh ?  ?  I haven't heard of this before.  How much is "a little"
sideward pressure?  does direction matter? (in what relation to the
bridgepin?)  Do you press as much as the diameter of the string in
whatever direction it is?  How do you prevent causing false beasts? Is
this intended to be a subsitute for the "test blow"?  Is it effective in
bringing all the portions of the string (non-speaking ones too) into
balance? If so, how can you tell?  >>>>

Massageing the strings is about as old a trick as the skies. Works just fine,
can in fact reduce false beats, and to some degree reduces the need for pounding
the piano to death to even tension along the string. But as with every such
trick, you got a get a feel for it before it will do you any good. Pounding
included for that matter. (tho I personally disdain the practice)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway