Grotrian Cymbalese

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 09:38:24 +0100

Thanks Jim, this one is in most of our books tho.. and in this case its
definantly going to make a difference. Point is, I dont really want to just
mute off this whole front area, unless thats the best thing to do for this
instrument. It has pretty good tone really, but this strange crescendo of
aftertones has got to go. I have never heard anything quite like it before.

I've seen many posts and participated in several threads on this buisness of
duplex. One thing is for sure, this isnt a black and white subject. What is the
"correct" thing to do depends largely on what one wants to accomplish. I want
to use this opportunity to expand on just what it is I can accomplish, and how
to go about it.

I was interested in hearing comments on Marks B.s reply to this post and a
question I posed there.

he said

"You can check this by plucking the front duplex...what you should hear here
is the same note as the speaking length on the other side of the capo
bar...this is good, it's doing it's job. But if you can hear another strong
note that's not related to the speaking length pitch, it's the note being
produced by the duplex in it's own right."

I replied:

Interesting. Any thoughts on how loud the speaking length should respond to
plucking the duplex vs how loud the duplex will sound when muting the speaking
length and
plucking the duplex ?

Is it the duplexs primary job to strengthen the fundemental or augment the
harmonics of that fundemental then ? Or does this sort of depend on what you
are trying to
accomplish ?

Btw Mark... having trouble locating Rons posting on it earlier this year. If
you bump into it (dont waste any time on my account tho.. grin, let me know)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway