Grotrian Cymbalese

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 20:12:52 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

>"You can check this by plucking the front duplex...what you should hear here
>is the same note as the speaking length on the other side of the capo
>bar...this is good, it's doing it's job. But if you can hear another strong
>note that's not related to the speaking length pitch, it's the note being
>produced by the duplex in it's own right."

* Absolutely correct, and easily enough explored and verified by a little
systematic plucking.

This would seem to suggest that energy leaking through to the duplex at the
fundemental of the speaking length is desirable ? I see I have some rethinking of
my duplex concept to do.. grin.

> >>Is it the duplexs primary job to strengthen the fundemental or augment the

> >harmonics of that fundemental then ? Or does this sort of depend on what you
> >are trying to
> >accomplish ?
>
> * I think it depends on that the designer "thinks" he's trying to
> accomplish. The basic function of the duplex is to make noise. Whether or
> not it makes the noise intended by the designer is largely up to the
> realities of the manufacturing process, and outside the designers control.
> Sometimes, a design requires more precision than the process is capable of.
> Some things look good on paper, or a computer screen, and just don't work
> that well in practice.

I am curious Ron,, what is it that you try to accomplish with the front duplex in
this regard, and how is it you go about acomplishing it. Is it possible to
strengthen the fundemental of the speaking length with front duplex. I am trying
to work this one out in my mind, A duplex length would have to vibrate at some
frequency higher then the partial, what frequencies.. if any would have the
affect of re-enforcing the fundemental of the speaking length ? I suppose I could
use Tunelab to look into this to some degree...

> >Btw Mark... having trouble locating Rons posting on it earlier this year. If
> >you bump into it (dont waste any time on my account tho.. grin, let me know)
> >
> >Richard Brekne
> >I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
> >Bergen, Norway
>
> * I'd say the relative loudness of the sound coming from the speaking
> length, resulting from plucking the front duplex, is directly related to
> how much string energy is leaking past the capo. Wouldn't you think?

Hmmm...If the speaking length sounds loudly from plucking the duplex, and the
duplex frequency is more or less masked by this, this equates to leakage. In the
first paragraph above this condition is described as "good". Have I misunderstood
?

If the duplex length sounds mostly its own frequency when plucked, then not much
must be getting past the termination point..... at least not much below the
frequency of the duplex length... This is interesting... and I gots to admit my
mind is a bit clogged on it right at this moment. Perhaps you might expound a bit
on the subject ??

> Ron N

Thanks muchly Ron. As always I find your comments thought provoking. And if there
is one thing I like to do...its to mill this kinda thing around in my mind.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway