More on digital sampling

JCCORDOGAN@AOL.COM JCCORDOGAN@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 15:30:06 EST

In a message dated 11/7/1999 9:29:01 AM Central Standard Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

<< The best EP sounds are the sampled sounds but that is also the problem, in
 my opinion. In that the sampled sounded is a constant and does not
 change...in other words it is always the same "sound" it may be softer or
 louder or it may be attacked strongly or moderately...it makes no difference
 it is still the same 'sound'... >>

Actually, these days, with memory having become much less expensive, the best
digital pianos do resample each note several times across the dynamic
spectrum and use a mathematic table to smooth out the transitions that occur
in between those samples within the 128 levels of velocity which MIDI allows.

Each time a note on a (good, current) digital piano is struck, the processor
reads the vecocity of that key strike as a number between 0 and 127
(including zero gives 128), recalling a volume level and an appropriate
sample to send to the speakers.

Responding to another digestee, issues such as the percussive sound of the
hammer striking the notes in the upper register and sympathetic vibrations
are also considered and incorporated into the sample.  In some models, if you
press the damper pedal really hard, without even striking a string, you'll
hear the reverse "hushing" sound of the dampers leaving the strings.

Standard disclaimer:  I'm not endorsing nor condoning anything here.  I'm
just alerting the list to the fact that those digital piano manufacturers
truly in search of the best way to attempt to reproduce a piano are
considering everything they can, including issues such as those addresses
here.

John Cordogan

Cordogan's Pianoland and  Cordogan's Piano Gallery
Illinois' Largest Piano Store
"More pianos than you can shake a leveling stick at"
Chicagoland's Kawai, Sauter, Estonia and Kemble dealer