Squeaking knuckles/Squeaking U1 capstans, Roger?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 19:50:54 -0600

Greetings Bill,
                       I've not noticed a problem with U1's, and we sell
and service a good number of them.
My procedure when using Teflon is follows. With knuckles, I lightly scuff
the leather with 220 grit paper to raise the nap, then apply the powder and
rub it in with my finger, a couple of applications and it is not so temporary.
With wip cloth, clean and raise the nap with a brass suede brush, again a
generous application of powder well rubbed in with your finger. I believe
that the coating of the capstan is Teflon.
Again this approach is not as temporary as you indicate.
Maybe the sweat from my finger helps to bond the powder?????? <g>
Roger

At 08:00 PM 08/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, Roger:
>
>Regarding your affirmation of Bill Simon's question about the practice of
>using Teflon powder on squeaky knuckles, would this be your response for
>recent U1's with capstans which squeak at the whip cushion, or do you have
>another approach for this?  These are plastic capstans.  I am not sure what
>is on top of the capstan, but it seems to be chemically bonded to the
capstan
>(is it just plastic?)  Teflon powder in the cushion is what tech service
>recommended, so that is what I am doing, but this is about as temporary as
>our using powder on knuckles (which gives a few months' quietness at best).
>
>Thanks -
>
>Bill Shull
>Bill Shull Complete Piano Service
>University of Redlands, La Sierra University, Riverside Community College

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213
Fax 652-0505