Squeaking knuckles/Squeaking U1 capstans, Roger?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 19:55:08 -0600

Bill, an after thought, Is the capstan contacting the crown of the wippen
heel?
 I've seen incorrect alignment cause this problem, tell tale sign, is
screwed up dip.
Roger

At 08:00 PM 08/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, Roger:
>
>Regarding your affirmation of Bill Simon's question about the practice of
>using Teflon powder on squeaky knuckles, would this be your response for
>recent U1's with capstans which squeak at the whip cushion, or do you have
>another approach for this?  These are plastic capstans.  I am not sure what
>is on top of the capstan, but it seems to be chemically bonded to the
capstan
>(is it just plastic?)  Teflon powder in the cushion is what tech service
>recommended, so that is what I am doing, but this is about as temporary as
>our using powder on knuckles (which gives a few months' quietness at best).
>
>Thanks -
>
>Bill Shull
>Bill Shull Complete Piano Service
>University of Redlands, La Sierra University, Riverside Community College

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213
Fax 652-0505