Squeaking knuckles/Squeaking U1 capstans, Roger?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 00:17:29 -0600

>Why do you use the suede brush on the wip _cloth_ but switch to 220 grit
>to rough up the "suede"? I think I know the answer but it did strike me
>as ironic.
>
>Tom

Hi Tom,
           Good question, habit I think. <g>

A 3/8" strip of 220 contours the knuckle, I'm going to have to touch up the
hammer line no matter what.

With the vertical wip cloth, you usually find a deep dimple, the brass
brush reaches into the bottom of the hole, and remove debris, as well as
raise the nap.

Steaming out the compression hole can help the sqeeky capstan problem.

You know me and steam. <big grin>

Regards Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.