CLP takes on crunchy snow and loses (almost)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 00:22:12 -0600

>...Since I thought CLP was a lubricant to be used where felt contacts
>metal, why did it cause me grief this time?  Was I misusing the stuff?
>Please be gentle with me if I was a really bad boy.
>
>Regards,
>Clyde Hollinger

Some ideas to consider:

If the noise was from the damper lever lift bar, the best method is to
remove it and polish it with Brasso and wipe clean.  Then a light coating
of Protek MLP-1 where the damper lever lift pads will come in contact.

If the noise was coming from the spoons, lightly applying Protek MLP-1
eliminates the sounds from that area.

Another area where sounds like you describe might be coming from are the
damper lever springs in the grooves.  I physically scrape the felt punching
or wood where the spring rests, then put Protek MLP-1 in that spring groove
with a tool that is similar to a capstan lost motion tool, but much smaller
in diameter.

Gentle enough?

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician