Piano Truck Options

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:26:03 -0800

Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Hello,
>        How are you handling piano truck sales?  Any tricks for a lone
> person getting the piano on it?  How long do you estimate for assembly?
> What do you consider a fair price since the wholesale price is $260.
> plus 110 lb shipping UPS?  Perhaps it's illegal to ask that but some
> guidance would be helpful.
>       A church, which is a regular customer, wants one. I'm considering
> shipping it directly to them and letting their people assemble it and
> lift the piano onto it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> -Mike Jorgensen
> I hate lifting.

Michael,

You might save yourself a little trouble by having it shipped to them
directly. But I think it would be a mistake to suggest that they
assemble it. Pianos are too valuable, vulnerable and heavy to leave in
the care of the ham-fisted.

I usually raise each corner in turn and remove the legs so that the
casters can be unscrewed or otherwise pried out of their sockets. For
this, I can either be a jack or I can buy a jack. Like you, I don't
enjoy lifting grand pianos either so I long ago adopted Susan Graham's
invention  - a little hydraulic jack and a plywood box to sit it on (and
_in_ when not in use) - with which to jack up the piano while casters
are being removed and the truck installed.

Email me if you're interested in details of this "Jack-in-the-box".

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA