Tuning Pins

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:44:52 -0700 (MST)

Hi George:

Driving in the pins only increases the tightness at the very bottom of
the tuning pin, and only lasts for a short while.

Many people decry the pinblock restorer approach saying that it ruins
the pinblock. Hey, the pinblock is already ruined, the pinblock restorer
can only help in situations where the client cannot afford to replace
the pinblock. There are neat ways and sloppy ways to treat a block. In
a Grand in the shop, one can turn the piano upside down on a table and
apply the glycerin based solution to the ends of the pins. Don't overdo
it because it could soak completely through and mess up the plate, strings
and pins. Note: remove action before turning piano over.

Caution! This is not a good idea for pinblocks which have splits in them.

A better approach for those is the epoxy or CA glue approach which has
been belabored abundantly on this list during the past year.

Jim Coleman, Sr.