Piano Truck Options

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:32:04 -0500

>Hello,
>       How are you handling piano truck sales?  Any tricks for a lone
>person getting the piano on it?

There was a cover article on this job in a recent (last couple years) PT
Journal (by Ben Mackilveen  ((sp?)) ). I believe Newton Hunt recently
posted his own list of proper steps.

 >How long do you estimate for assembly?
Probably an hour, alot faster if you have a helper.

>What do you consider a fair price since the wholesale price is $260.
>plus 110 lb shipping UPS?  Perhaps it's illegal to ask that but some
>guidance would be helpful.

Some of the suppliers have "list prices" from which your purchase price is
calculated (Apsco 50%, Jansen 60%?). That's a good place to start.

>      A church, which is a regular customer, wants one. I'm considering
>shipping it directly to them and letting their people assemble it and
>lift the piano onto it.

I have a similar scenario on the back burner. The Music Director "Can't
understand" why my retail price for the truck is considerably more
expensive than that listed in her music supply catalogs. She hopes to have
me oversee the parishoners' assembly and installation of the truck. Keep in
mind that there's more to it than simply listing the piano onto the truck;
you should remove the leg casters!

>Thanks in advance
>-Mike Jorgensen
>I hate lifting.