Harpsichord - Sassmann #1518

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:17:49 -0700

Dear List (especially those of the list that are into harpsichords):
	Today I tuned the above mentioned harpsichord.  As I am not schooled in
harpsichords I probably will not be using the correct terms to ID notes
on this instrument - but I beg your patience with me.
		Best described in piano note identification range as B-1 to F-6
	Length ( as measured along the longest side away from the keyboard -
aprox 39"
		( maybe a "spinet" harpsichord)
The problem:
	Two wires are missing from the instrument.  The remains of the broken
ones are no where to be found so I do not have them for samples to
measure gage or diameter or what material they were made from to begin
with.  The missing wires belong to C# -3  ( 1st C# below middle C) and to
A#-2 ( the A# sharp below the previously mentioned note. )  I am
reasonably sure that the wire was brass for the lower of the two
mentioned wires as the wires on each side of it are a reddish brass
color.  Measuring the wire just above it gave me a wire ( in brass ) of
0.012".  The higher note that has the wire missing I can only guess as to
whether or not it was brass or not as the wire just to its right is steel
and I have no way of knowing where the brass stopped and the steel began.
 The steel wire just to the right of that missing wire measured 0.011.
	I guess what I am asking for is if someone has a "string scale" for this
instrument and if so could you please fill me in on what I need in the
way of material to replace those two wires for the instrument's owner -
other than the patience to tie the knot :-(

btw.  The smallest brass that I saw in APSCO was 0.13".

Thanks in advance.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.