Tuning Pins

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:51:00 -0600

>   ...driving in the pins is basically a useless solution. You at best
>gain perhaps 3 mm of new grip, and sometimes end up with a less then
>desirable relationship bewteen the strings and the pressure bar. In short
>it doesnt really work, and certainly doesnt last more then a short time.
>
>Richard Brekne

Not so, Richard.  Once again, based on the circumstances, tapping tuning
pins is a great asset, both on inexpensive and expensive pianos when the
tuning stability starts to become marginal due to tuning pins that will no
longer stay in place.

As to 'driving' the tuning pin versus the expression I am using, 'tapping'
the tuning pin, I only tap the pin enough to witness a slight movement.
Anymore than that is unnecessary in the majority of the situations I have
experienced.

And as to the concept of only establishing new grip at the bottom end of
the tuning pin, I respectfully submit that the entire surface of the tuning
pin hole is affected by this tap, thereby creating more than ample friction
to introduce holding power once again.

There just too many pianos I have done where the tuning pins are holding
quite well, pianos that I tune twice a year minimum, and have been doing so
for many years.

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it."    :-)

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild